Have you ever locked yourself out of the house only because you forgot to take your keys with you just before closing the door (assuming you have a self latching door, as is the norm these days)?
Have you ever done your grocery shopping for the week and realised that you have left your wallet behind only after reaching the till?
Have you ever driven half way across town to pick up clothes from your favourite Dry Cleaner’s only to realise that you left the receipt back home?
Or Maybe you are the “Smart One” who always keeps ticking off a Check-List mentally as you leave the house to ensure you haven’t forgotten anything important. Mobile? Check! Wallet? Check! Keys? Check!
Most of us know about Murphy’s Law (some better than the others 😉 ) and how it is bound to rain on the day you forget to take your Umbrella.
Now, imagine you are the mother of a toddler! The probability of each of the above scenarios happening to you has just become 10 times higher.
That’s why having a check-list becomes a necessity.
Here is a sneak peak of the list of items on my Check-List.
Note: Some of these items may not be required on a regular basis and hence skipped occasionally. I am trying to keep the list exhaustive.
- Extra Diapers
- Wet Wipes
- Diaper Changing Mat
- Hand Sanitizer
- Extra set of Baby Clothes
- Water Bottle/Sipper
- Feeding Bottle / Feeding Cover
- Child’s favourite Toy/Book/ Busy Bag
- Lots of small Plastic Bags (can be used for diaper litter/ to store wet & soiled clothes/ to contain all the waste till you get to a dustbin) (You can save space in your bag by folding plastic bags into compact triangles like this one here.)
- Muslin Cloth (in case your toddler is running a cold) / Dry Tissues
- A Folding Shopping Bag (Because we all know that a Mother has to make the inevitable pit-stop at the Grocery shop for Milk and Bread, and nobody likes to pay 5p for the plastic shopping bags)
- Wallet (Also check to make sure your credit card/cash is in the wallet)
- Mobile Phone
- Umbrella/Raincoat (depending on the weather, but if you live anywhere in the UK, you must be used to carrying it along everyday)
- Sunglasses (at least in Summer)
- Hat & Mittens
That’s all I seem to remember now. In case I have missed out anything else that you like to carry along, please let me know in the comments. I would love to include them to my purse/hand bag as well.
Also, out of curiosity I would like to know if somebody has ever forgotten their kid’s shoes while going out for a walk (Or is it just me??).
Do share an incident where you have forgotten something like this and felt silly later. We can all share a good laugh and learn from each others’ experiences.
Note: This post is in response to the prompt on Writing 101. Daily Challenge Day 2 – “List”. You can read about it on my previous post here.